Monday, February 7, 2011

Loving Hut: Best veggie burger in Chicago?

So, who has been to a Loving Hut (any location)? What are your thoughts? My thoughts, plain and simple: BEST vegan food, WORST atmosphere. Let me just get my opinion on the atmosphere out of the way so I can talk more about the food. OK, so I've got the idea that all Loving Hut locations are owned by "Supreme Master Ching Hai", right? Well, this is nothing against the folks who follow her at all. In fact, I'm under the impression that Ching Hai is a humanitarian who also tries to spread the word about vegetarianism...which is a good thing! BUT...the Loving Hut atmosphere is nothing but 2 or 3 TVs around the place constantly playing what I believe to be Ching Hai's own network? ALL I'm trying to say here is that I wish there were some music or something playing instead! The mood is just kind of quiet and odd in that place. But please, please do not let my opinion make you stay away from the Loving Hut. You need to go to this place. If only for the veggie burger!

 Now of course I have not had every kind of veggie burger that Chicago has to offer. BUT...out of every veggie burger I've ever had in my life...this one is hands-down the best. Called "The Noble Burger" at Loving Hut, you can also pay a bit extra for fries or vegan cheese. I don't do the cheese, but I almost always (ok, always) do the fries. They have regular and sweet potato, both are yum. The burger has that smoky, grilled taste that I've missed so much in other veggie burgers. And it also comes with caramelized onions, my favorite! So even though Loving Hut has quite a few other foods to offer, this one is my go-to. It should be yours, too.

I've also had Alice's Teriyaki...again, very delicious.
I also enjoy their Yakisoba and Don Ka Su (that's how it's written on the menu. I usually call it tonkatsu), but unfortunately I don't have pics of those. Here's a link to their Chicago menu (different locations have slightly different menus, I believe). So far, I've enjoyed everything I've tried there. 

Last time we went there, we got a couple of desserts. Chocolate Cake and Carrot Cake. 
I'm not a huge carrot cake fan, but Loving Hut is magical and of course I love their carrot cake. Chocolate one is yum too, by the way.

And, they have recently started delivering! They told me that they deliver 4 miles away, so make sure you're closer than 4 miles before getting all excited. $3 delivery fee and $15 order minimum, 

Anyone else out there have thoughts on the Loving Hut? I'd love to hear them!

 Loving Hut
5812 N Broadway
Chicago, IL 60660
773.275.8797


Song of the day: "Tourist" by Julian Casablancas

6 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and I live in Illinois and work in the city do you know of any good vegan restaurants near North Lasalle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog a few months ago while searching for reviews of The Loving Hut.

    I don't have much e-contact with the vegan community here in Chi, but I want to get the word out that Wrigley Field now has some awesome veggie/vegan options. I was there last night and ordered the veggie chopped salad, expecting one similar to salads at fast-food restaurants. To my surprise, it was actually an AMAZING mix of goodness, including spinach, chickpeas, steamed asparagus and kalamata olives. It cost the same as a personal pizza.
    How awesome is that?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to know some sort of calorie count for this awesome burger ... any thoughts???

    nancers50@me.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kathi, unfortunately I don't find myself on Lasalle often so I couldn't help ya there. I mainly roam the Lakeview/Wrigleyville area. If you need suggestions for those areas let me know!

    @Jill: That is awesome!! I'll definitely have to check that out when I'm there next!

    As far as the calorie count of the burger I don't even have a guess! I asked them once though what they use for their burger and they said they use a certain company's veggie burger (wouldn't say who though) and crumble it up, then add their own veggies and spices and THEN grill it. Isn't that kind of odd? I haven't been there in a while but I still love it there, I gotta admit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gauri Radha गौरी राधाJune 29, 2011 at 12:37 PM

    Nice to see a Loving Hut mention! I go to the Los Angeles one often, it's very good for lunch.

    ReplyDelete