Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Workout DVD reviews

When it comes to working out, I usually prefer the gym. But recently I just haven't had the motivation to go as often as I'd like. Mostly because it's harder for me to leave the house in the freezing winter weather! I know...excuses, excuses. So instead of completely giving in to my "excuses", I decided to try some workout DVDs to spare me from the all-morning ordeal that is the gym. We recently got Netflix back on our TV (thanks to husband's new PS3), so what better time to try out some of their instant-watch workout DVDs?

Yesterday I tried Self: Slim and Sleek Fast!
Overall I liked this one. I would consider myself at an intermediate fitness level (at best), but I know I should probably be doing more cardio. This workout is good if you're in the same boat as me. If you're already a cardio freak, then this might not be so challenging. In my opinion, the instructor wasn't too cheerful/annoying, so that's a plus! I found myself a little winded and sweaty by the end of it. Good deal! All you need are a pair of sneakers and a set of light weights.

And today I decided to give 10 Minute Solution: Pilates a try. 
 This one is a keeper! Well, they both are really. But I enjoyed this one a bit more. I had only taken a Pilates class once before, and I was still able to keep up (mostly) and understand the technique of the DVD. What I'm trying to say is that this is good for Pilates beginners! Probably intermediate levels as well, but as with the other DVD, advanced folks may not feel challenged enough. This video breaks down into 5, 10-minute Pilates segments. You can do the whole workout, mix and match, or just do the segments that you enjoy or that challenge you. I did the whole thing from the beginning since it was my first time. I'd probably do it that way again in the future. All you need is a set of 2-3lb weights, and maybe a mat.

If you've got Netflix, give some of these workouts a try! And report back!

Do you do home workouts or do you prefer the gym? Or neither?!




4 comments:

  1. OMG!!! I didn't even think to get workout DVDs on netflix! I feel so dumb, my motivation to hit the gym does not exist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most big public library systems have plenty to reserve as well (not to mention on demand workouts on cable). Great way to try them out before paying for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Andrea: Have you tried it yet? I've done the Pilates one a couple more times, I really like it.

    I'm gonna check out the library, good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to enjoy working out to Slim and Sleek Fast and Bikini Ready Fast, which has the same instructor (Ellen Barrett). I agree that Ellen Barrett does a good job of coming off clear and friendly without being overly perky.

    Have you tried Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred? I was really into that last spring and then moved onto her two follow-up DVD's - Banish Fat Boost Metabolism and No More Trouble Zones. 30 Day Shred is great for boosting endurance in a short amount of time. I'm planning on reintroducing those again this week.

    ReplyDelete