Sunday, January 9, 2011

Vegan Cream Cheese Taste Test

I haven't had cream cheese since going vegan. And honestly, it's not that big of a deal to me. I was never a huge cream cheese fan anyway. However, recently I've been getting a slight craving for a bit of cream cheese on my bagel. I've heard of two main makers of vegan cream cheese: Follow Your Heart, and Tofutti. And since I have no idea which one would be the one for me, I decided to give them both a try. And report back here, of course.

First up: Tofutti
 By the way...how good are Trader Joe's Everything Bagels?!?!
Now, don't think I'm a weirdo...but I like my everything bagels with jelly. For real.
 So...as for the taste of the Tofutti. I honestly have to say that I didn't care for it. I tasted the bagel before putting the jelly on and after. And...it's just kinda...waxy, I guess? Hard to explain really. But I feel like it tasted plasticky, if anything can actually taste that way. Bottom line, I just don't think I would buy this again.

Next up: Follow Your Heart
This brand was about .70 more expensive, for the record. 
I tried this on a cinnamon raisin bagel.
Don't forget the jelly!
So, while I didn't think this one tasted waxy, it still didn't really blow me away. It has an odd aftertaste that I can't quite describe. I guess I went into this thinking that I'd get a close version to the non-vegan counterpart, and that was my mistake. 


Bottom line: If I had to choose one of the two, I'd go with Follow Your Heart. But being as I'll probably never be in a situation where I'd have to choose, I'll happily settle with a bagel with Earth Balance. And jelly, of course. 


Does anyone have an opinion about either of these two "cream cheeses"?






7 comments:

  1. The tofutti brand is the only one available to me and I think it's pretty tasty. I usually mix in fresh herbs for a savory spread, though, so I'm not sure whether I'd like it with jelly. Sorry you didn't love either of these! Hopefully you'll find another brand that you do like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the Tofutti cream cheese. I eat it on bagels and use it in frostings and cheesecakes. I don't care for the Follow Your Heart kind as much.

    You know our Trader Joe's got rid of the vegan bagels and replaced them with honey-laced ones? Such a bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a huge fan of either of those cream cheeses either. I much prefer a healthy slathering of hummus on my bagel. Add some avocado and I'm good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a big fan of Tofutti on bagels or just plain for that matter, but I love putting it in things like soups, my vegan funeral potatoes recipe, frostings and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Bonnie: I hadn't thought of adding fresh herbs. Good idea!
    @Leigh: No! So sad about the honey in the bagels! I wonder why they'd do that? I'll double check the labels when I go again.
    @cadry: Yeah, I guess you can probably count me in the "cream cheeseless" crowd!
    @kaycee: What are vegan funeral potatoes?? Sounds interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funeral potatoes are a creamy mixture mixed with hash browns or shredded potatoes, then baked and then covered with corn flakes and veg margarine and baked again. They are amazing!!!

    I think they are kind of a Utah recipe, but either way they are soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is hilarious because I just made a breakfast sammich with an everything bagel tonight. It had blackberry preserves on it and I remember thinking how good (and odd) the combo was!

    ReplyDelete