Sunday, December 12, 2010

A few more Vegan With a Vengeance favorites!

As I've stated a few times (or more) before, Vegan With A Vengeance is probably my all-time favorite vegan cookbook. And it was the first vegan cookbook I bought, as well! Yeah I'm sure I've said that before too. Anyway, this book is full of great recipes and there are quite a few that are still go-to recipes for me. First up, Carrot-Raisin Muffins:

I usually make this recipe as-is, but I've also been known to add about a 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts sometimes too. Isa gives a tip on this page about soaking the raisins beforehand in hot water for about 10 minutes. I always do that, it makes a difference!


Carrot Bisque:

Again, I make this recipe as-is, the only change I make is in the directions: Isa says to puree half of the soup, but I puree the whole thing. And I usually do a half-recipe, cause it makes quite a bit. This last time though I had a brain fart and bought ingredients for a full recipe. I was peeling and chopping carrots for quite a while. And now I've got a whole lotta Carrot Bisque! I'll probably just end up freezing some. It's delicious though. Perfect for cold Chicago it's-not-"officially"-winter-yet-but-it-sure-as-hell-feels-like-it days!


And one of my all-time favorites, Seitan-Portobello Stroganoff:
Now this one I make a couple of changes to, simply because I don't really like portobellos, honestly. I omit the portobellos (I guess I should call my version "Seitan Stroganoff" then), and I use either dried or ground thyme for the fresh thyme. I know it's better to use fresh herbs, but sometimes I just use what's already on hand. Oh, and I always make a half recipe. In fact, I have never made a full recipe of this before. It makes a lot. Husband doesn't like this recipe and even though JX does, he doesn't eat that much to begin with, so it's usually just me eating this. Even a half batch is about 3 to 4 servings. But it's SO good! I love this one. 

If you own this book, what are some of your favorite recipes?


Yes, I met Isa once. Briefly. 
Yes, I asked her to sign my copy of VWAV.
Yes...I am a nerd.










No comments:

Post a Comment