Thursday, December 30, 2010

Chicago Spotlight: Ethiopian Diamond


Located in the Edgewater district of Chicago is the Ethiopian Diamond. Not vegan, but definitely vegan-friendly! If you haven't tried Ethiopian food before, please do yourself a favor and invite it into your life! 

Liz had never tried it before so I made it a point to take her here during her stay. She's not veg but doesn't mind eating veg dishes, so we shared some Spinach Sambusas as an appetizer. Sorry...but I forgot to take a photo! On their website, a sambusa is described as a "thin dough shell stuffed with minced meat or vegetables". They offer 3 vegan-friendly sambusas: lentil, spinach and potato/carrot. They are all delicious, but I think I like the spinach best.

Then we went with Taste of Ethiopia Vegetarian Combo.

No butter, eggs, milk or honey! They've got us covered!
Check out this page for descriptions of each one. This sampler included numbers 29, 30, 31, 33, 35, 37. We loved everything except the "Shimbra" (reddish stuff on the bottom right). That was a little funky. But hey, I tried it! I think that's a new addition to the sampler, if I remember correctly they used to have spinach. Regardless, I freaking love this place and I think you need to give it a try if you're in Chicago! They've got a full bar and live music on the weekends (Saturdays, I believe). I really like the atmosphere.

Ethiopian Diamond
6120 N Broadway St
Chicago, IL 60660

4 comments:

  1. looks interestingly good! I hope I get to visit you before you leave Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up on Diamond! My husband and I took a brief trip to Chicago in early December, and I had the (wonderfully) difficult choice of narrowing down the restaurant options. There are so many vegan, vegetarian, and vegan-friendly options! (We opted with Karyn's Cooked, Karyn's on the Green, and Chicago Diner. I did not walk away disappointed!) I love Ethiopian food, and so next time I'll have to give Diamond a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Andrea...yes you'd better come visit!! You're welcome anytime, you know.

    @Cadry: You made some good choices! I can't believe I still haven't made it to Karyn's on Green though. :( I think I'll ask to go there for Mother's Day. Also, keep Pick Me Up in mind for next time you're here, they've got some yum vegan options too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karyn's on Green was amazing. It's one that I think I'll have to visit every time I'm in Chicago. I'd rank it right up there with Millennium in terms of quality. Thanks for the heads-up on Pick Me Up. I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete