Sunday, November 7, 2010

Montana road trip: we've arrived!

Ugh...I'm still a little disappointed in my "high speed internet" connection at the Best Western last night. It took me eons to upload a single photo, and then the connection would suddenly be gone and I'd have to wait and wait till it came back up. But, that was South Dakota. I've since moved on to Montana.

Let me just pick up where I left off: Mother Fool's Coffeehouse in Madison, Wisconsin.
 I know I had already wrapped up my "review" of this lovely establishment, but I just wanted to upload this last picture and say that I will be going back to this place for sure one day!
After leaving Madison, we were determined to drive and drive and drive in order to make it to our destination (Mitchell, South Dakota) at a decent time. And drive we did!!
Way too much excitement in this car, let me tell ya.
We made it all the way to Albert Lea, Minnesota when we decided it was time to take a break. I looked up Albert Lea on happycow to see if I had a chance in hell of encountering a vegan-friendly spot to eat, and there was one listing!! But then I noticed...they're closed on weekends! No! What a shame. But, if you're ever in Albert Lea, Minnesota on a weekday, you're in luck.
So...guess what lunch was? Uh-huh:
 It's better than nothing, I know. But still. Taco Bell. And after specifying no cheese or sour cream on the seven layer burrito two times, I still ended up with sour cream. Yuck. Good thing I had a plain bean burrito as back up. Lucky me. After our lackluster lunch (and some playtime) at a nearby park....
It was time to hit the road once again. We almost made it to the South Dakota border when I felt myself getting pretty tired. Everyone else in the car was passed out, so there was no one to talk to. I had to pull over and buy some coffee or something before I passed out too!
I know, I know, I'm such a health nut! 
Alright, South Dakota...bring it on! 

Okay, that enthusiasm died down shortly after we got back on the road, but my heart's in the right place. 

We finally made it to Mitchell just before sunset. 

By this time we were all exhausted and hungry. I spotted a Chinese place down the road from the hotel and so we gave it a try.
This place was...interesting. It was eerily quiet (although there were customers there. No one's big on talking here, I guess), and that's not a good thing when you have a feisty toddler. But we toughed it out. There were a few dishes that were available with tofu, so I inquired further about what kind of sauces are added. I learned that their "brown sauce" has oyster sauce in it, and their "white sauce" has chicken broth in it. So I ordered the Cashew Tofu, and the waitress made sure it was fried with only oil, garlic, soy sauce and sugar. 
 It was a bit bland and the tofu was much softer than my liking. But my husband pointed out that not only did they go out of their way to make a vegan-friendly dish for me, but the waitress didn't even look at me funny during any of my "unusual" requests. So, this experience was "ok". If you happen to find yourself in Mitchell, South Dakota and you're starving, these guys may be worth a look.


Twin Dragon
704 East Norway Avenue
Mitchell, SD 57301-4771


And that concluded our evening "out and about" in Mitchell. 

And of course we were up bright and early this morning to finish off our road trip.
Mitchell sunrise  
And wouldn't you know, there are actually a few South Dakota listings on happycow! But, and this is a big but, almost all of them are closed on Sundays. Yep. And today happens to be... a Sunday. Burn. But let it be known that South Dakota does in fact have some veggie options every other day of the week.
 Nothing really eventful took place on our way through the rest of South Dakota, Wyoming and then Montana. Just a whole lot of this:


Breakfast was coffee and some Trader Joe's Mini Cinnamon Raisin Bagels. And lunch was...drum roll...
You guys saw that coming a mile away, didn't you. Our good friend Subway strikes again!


But we finally made it to Montana! We're here! And I'm tired, yet wired at the same time. Anyone else ever get like that? 


Dinner tonight is something I've been craving that they don't really have in Chicago. Tune in tomorrow to find out (and possibly be disappointed)!


Goodnight!


 

3 comments:

  1. hee hee. I like the excitement in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny. When I was in Montana I had to use Best Western's internet to MoFo too!! Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @panda, I'm thankful that my son (and dog) did so awesome during that 21 hour car ride.I guess I'd rather have a "boring" trip than a stressful one, right?
    @VIT, do you come to Billings often? Who knows, maybe we'll find ourselves visiting here at the same time one day!

    ReplyDelete