Saturday, November 6, 2010

Montana road trip. Day one: Chicago to South Dakota

::YAWN::
Whew! It's been a long day! We left Chicago at 7:00am SHARP (okay, 7:15. I can't ever be on time. Ever.) on our way from Chicago to South Dakota where we have a Best Western Hotel room with our names on it. Thank goodness for pet-friendly hotels, by the way.

To say that was an interesting drive would be stretching it. Not much going on on the 90W, I gotta say. But...our route took us through one of my new favorite cities, Madison, Wisconsin. This time around I decided to hit up Mother Fool's Coffeehouse.

The girl working the counter was very sweet, even when I asked her about vegan options before noticing the sign right in front of me:

And the menu above me:
It's not often that one sees these words...I never take them for granted!


So after looking my options over for an uncomfortably long amount of time, I decided to go with soup. I had to choose between Red Lentil Dahl and Hungarian Vegetable Soup. I chose Hungarian Vegetable. I also decided to get their fouasse, made with sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and rosemary. I have never heard of a fouasse before, I had to ask that poor girl two times what it was called, and then I even called her when we were back on the road to ask yet again what the name and spelling was. I should have written it down the first time, lesson learned. Does anyone else get down with the fouasse? This thing was freaking good!
Ta-da...my first fouasse! I'm a fouasser now, ya know.
I then decided that my fouasse needed to be friends with my Hungarian Vegetable soup.
They make a great team, I must say. 


There was quite a selection of cookies to choose from, but I finally decided on Blueberry Lemon.
                                                                                                                                    
 I'm sold on practically any pastry that involves the dynamic Blueberry-Lemon duo! And it didn't disappoint!
I really liked Mother Fool's atmosphere, I wish I could have spent more time there, but we had to get back on the road!
Final verdict: Everything I had was delicious and I would definitely go there again! And I highly suggest you stop by there too if you're in Madison. 


Mother Fool's Coffeehouse 
1101 Williamson St
Madison, Wisconsin 53703


As I write this, it is 10:15pm and I am writing in the dark in my hotel room with the lowest speed internet possible (dial-up, anyone?). It has taken me an embarrassingly long time to write this post so far, so I am going to sign off for tonight. Please stop by tomorrow for the rest of my "exciting" adventure!
 


 
 


5 comments:

  1. We did the road trip from Seattle to Madison and back this summer. I love Madison, and next time I'm there I'll for sure visit Mother Fools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of fouasse. It looks pretty. Like a fancier pretzel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Andrea, I love Madison, too! I'd love to live there.
    @Panda, it reminded me of a pretzel, too! Just a lot more flavor. Very good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want that bread right now! those are 3 of my favorite flavors and I love the pretzel consistency!

    Leave it to Madison to have some great vegan options!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @idreamofgreenie I was pleasantly surprised! And I think it would have been even better had I warmed it up!

    ReplyDelete