Thursday, November 4, 2010

Last meal in the Wisconsin Dells

Our final morning in the Dells was kind of hectic. JX and I somehow slept in until 10am! That never, ever happens. JX is usually my alarm in the mornings, but today he felt like sleeping on the job apparently. So...since it takes me two hours to do anything (so my husband says), I really had to scramble in order to condense that two hours into one hour to be ready for check-out time. Husband was already dressed and gone, taking care of last minute work meetings, so I was on my own! It was a crazy hour, but we made it!

Now for more important issues, like "where do I want to have my "last meal" in Wisconsin?" It was a toss up between Monty's and The Cheese Factory. After this vacation, we were too broke to do both. So...The Cheese Factory it is! I went with the Vegan Sunrise Skillet. 
Described in the menu as: Seasoned home-fried potatoes tossed with grilled tofu, mushrooms, onions, carrots, zucchini, broccoli, red peppers and Romesco sauce (prepared from roasted peppers, smoked almonds and garlic). Served with fresh fruit. 
Does the Romesco sauce sound familiar? Yep, it was the same sauce used on my delectable Vegan Chimichanga. Now, while I loved it on the chimichanga, I wasn't too big on it in this particular dish. But that is strictly a personal thing. Don't think I'm trying to talk anyone out of ordering this!
I loved the texture of the tofu, the veggies still had some crisp, and I have yet to meet a potato that I don't like. The only downside to this dish was the Romesco. Regardless, The Cheese Factory is still my diamond in the rough and I would highly recommend it to anybody! 


OK, time to hit the road and head back to Chicago! 

I'll be doing a "Chicago spotlight" post tomorrow featuring a vegan (or vegan friendly) establishment that I enjoy giving my money to in exchange for delicious food. And Saturday we're leaving bright and early on our road trip to Billings, Montana! Let's see what kind of vegan eats we can find on the way...


Hope everyone is having a blast MoFoing, see ya tomorrow!
 



6 comments:

  1. Yay! Wasn't the Cheese Factory alarmingly vegan-friendly?! I was stunned when I visited a few weeks ago. Everyone there was so nice, and the food was fantastic!

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so down with the Cheese Factory. I totally agree, super nice staff and tons of vegan options. I loved all the windows, too! So much natural sunlight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish there was a Cheese Factory where I live! Sounds like a great place to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was that breakfast? Dang. That beats my pancakes today, I must say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm amazed that a place like called The Cheese Factory has such great looking vegan food! I could use that skillet right about now.

    ReplyDelete