Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

My mother-in-law and I were in the kitchen cooking all morning, and so father-in-law and husband's duty was to take care of JX and keep him entertained for a few hours.
::sigh:: At least someone got to get out and enjoy the snow! Sheesh...

Anyway...on with the story. Normally I go with the always reliable Tofurkey, but this year I decided to "try new things" and went with the Field Roast brand Celebration Roast.
You've got four prep options listed on the box, I went with warming it in the oven for about 30-40 min. I also basted it a few times with olive oil.

We had a fairly large potluck-style (omni) family dinner to be at. I made mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and gingerbread apple pie...all vegan of course! Oh, and I also made some instant gravy for myself.
 I usually make the "Easy Gravy" from Vegan Express, but I thought I'd go with this since I'd be the only one eating it. It was okay, but I'm gonna stick with my Easy Gravy next year.


Here's my Thanksgiving feast! The Celebration Roast was alright, but I kinda missed my traditional Tofurkey. But for what it's worth, my omni father-in-law liked it! 


And for dessert...

Gingerbread Apple Pie from Vegan With A Vengeance! I don't know how the picture looks to you guys but this pie is freaking awesome and you should add it to your future Thanksgiving menus!


OMNI-APPROVED!
 
I hope everyone had a great day! If anyone has ever tried the Celebration Roast or the Gingerbread Apple Pie, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. We had the stuffed hazelnut cranberry roast en croute from Field Roast this year. I love Field Roast in general, especially their apple sage sausages. However, this was my first time trying their roast in a puff pastry. It was fabulous! I'll definitely have it on hand again for future Thanksgivings. It had a really good flavor and texture, made a fun centerpiece to the meal, and it was another place to put gravy! That's a win! My non-vegetarian father and brother liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to try the field roast! I had tofurkey which didn't last more than 26.5 hours. It is so good. Your pie looks awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete