Sunday, November 14, 2010

Dave's Killer Bread, We Can't Say It's Cheese, and a panini press!

I've been fortunate to make some delicious discoveries since arriving in Montana. First off, has anyone had We Can't Say It's Cheese brand vegan cheese? For some reason, it is not available at my local Whole Foods yet in Chicago, In fact, I have yet to see it anywhere in Chicago. But since this company is Montana-based, I knew I'd score while in Billings! There are four flavors to choose from, but the good folks over at the PPK forums recommended I try the Hickory Smoked Cheddar Style. 
 I'd love to give the people at Wayfare Foods a high-five, because this "cheese" is great!!! Feel free to spread it on crackers or pita bread slices, maybe use it as a veggie dip or maybe a grilled cheese? Now if a grilled cheese sounds up your alley, consider using Dave's Killer Bread for your sandwich!
 This bread is pretty much the best I've ever had. Unfortunately it's not available in Illinois (yet). It's still mainly in the west. But check out their website and see if it's available near you! And go buy this stuff! My entire extended family loves it. And that is a wonderful thing.
OMNI-APPROVED! 

So, here I am with my We Can't Say It's Cheese and my Dave's Killer Bread. All we need now is something to help bring these two together. Enter....
 A panini press? Yep. Now, I never thought I'd desire one of these for my kitchen, but since staying here at my in-laws' house, I've come to appreciate the magic that is panini. The first sandwich I made was simply the cheese, some Earth Balance, and Dave's bread. 
Not much to look at, but it was damn good! The melted hickory cheese combined with the crunchiness of the bread made for a wonderful sandwich. But today I decided to take my panini adventures to the next level.

I went to the supermarket, picked up some spinach, a tomato and some guacamole. I would prefer to make my own guac, but the avocados were nowhere near ripe, and I'm not willing to wait! 

I tried and tried to get a decent close-up shot of my sandwich, but my camera just doesn't want to cooperate! Anyway, don't let my average photo turn you off. This sandwich was a-w-e-s-o-m-e. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd make another one! The only change I'd make is to add the cheese on both sides of the bread. I added just under 2 tablespoons or so to one side of the bread, when I should have put it on both sides. But it was still a mighty fine panini! I think I'm a convert now. I just might have to ask Santa for a panini press for Christmas!







5 comments:

  1. If you like Dave's bread, try to get your hands on a Sinn Dog, The Ultimate Sinnamon Roll! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your new blog! And the panini still look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE panini!!!! Wish I could find one of those presses here!!!! And - a big thank you for your support!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bread looks great. I have tried the cheezes. I like the smoky cheddar, but I'm on the fence with the nacho cheese style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, I got a panino press for christmas last year, and it took me a while to get into it... however, now I love it dearly and just can't get enough.

    also, I'm with you on Dave's Killer Bread. I've only ever had it when I'm up in Portland and I love it SO MUCH.

    ReplyDelete