Sunday, October 10, 2010

Quick Lo Mein, from Vegan on the Cheap

Tonight's dinner was very delicious, although I may not have taken the best photo! Unfortunately this was the best (indoor) lighting I could get...it was already getting dark outside when I finished making it! I love fall, but this is the one downside....less daylight.

Anyway, as the title says, I decided to make "Quick Lo Mein" from Vegan on the Cheap, the latest addition to my cookbook collection. I had made it once before and used ramen (yes, the cheapy kind!), tofu, and cabbage, but this time I went with spaghetti, seitan, and broccoli (all the other ingredients were the same in both dishes). Author Robin Robertson suggests either ramen or spaghetti to use and I was much happier with the results using spaghetti. And I've come to realize that I'm not the biggest fan of tofu in my homemade stir-fry. I prefer the texture of seitan overall. Don't hate me, tofu lovers!

Also, I was a little generous with the seasonings, cause that's how I like it!

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of doing it with seitan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I may be one of the few vegans out there who is really on the fence about tofu. I like it only sometimes and only cooked certain ways and so forth. Seitan is definitely my fave protein source. It's got such a better texture to me and tastes great in stir-fry!

    ReplyDelete