Monday, October 25, 2010

New York Deli, Chicago Vegan Week!

Tonight I made my first visit to one of the four participating eateries here on the North Side, The New York Deli

Their vegan offering is a Chik'n Parmesan Sandwich. Going in there I wasn't really sure what to expect, the place was pretty small and I had to ask for the vegan option since it wasn't advertised anywhere in sight. But the guy who helped me was very nice and told me that they had actually sold out of the vegan sandwich earlier today and had to run out and grab more patties and Daiya! So that's a good sign! You know what was an even better sign? Seeing how delicious my sandwich looked when he brought it to me!!!
See those chips in the back there? Yeah, they were SO good. I glanced at the ingredients however and saw "natural flavors"  listed, so I wrote an email to the company this evening asking if there are any animal derived ingredients in the "natural flavors". I'll make sure to update as soon as I hear back! Man, I hope that they're vegan (I'm pretty sure they are, but ya never know)! If they are, get these chips with your meal!! 

They use Boca Chik'n Patties and Daiya (as mentioned above). I know it seems simple enough to do yourself at home, but they use their own spices on the patty and the bread and it's all so nice and hot and melty and delicious. 


In my opinion, this meal is big enough to split. The sandwich is about $8, if you add chips and just drink water, you and a friend would each end up paying only about $5! I was pretty hungry when I sat down to eat, but I only finished half of my sandwich and less than half of the chips (well, I kinda stopped eating after reading about the "natural flavors") . 


In other good news, the employee there said that they are considering keeping this sandwich on the menu permanently! And they deliver! If you can, please check out New York Deli this week, I'll keep you posted and let you know if they decide to keep the Chik'n Parmesan! They only take cash, but there is an ATM machine inside.




New York Deli
2921 N Clark St
Chicago IL 60657
(773) 549-3328


No comments:

Post a Comment