Sunday, October 24, 2010

Cold Udon Noodles with Peanut Sauce and Seitan

This is one of my favorite recipes from my favorite vegan cookbook, Vegan with a Vengeance. This book will always hold a special place in my heart. I bought it along with Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World a few years ago when I was contemplating going vegan, and I was blown away! Reading through those books made me realize that veganism was something that was definitely possible, and armed with my 2 new cookbooks, I took the vegan leap! Even though I've expanded my vegan cookbook collection a bit since then, I still feel that these two books are great starters for new vegans, and Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar should probably be included as well!

Truth be told, I was afraid that I'd have to give up my precious sugary treats when going vegan (boy was I wrong!). I had no idea what a vegan cupcake or vegan cookie even looked like, let alone tasted like. (Keep in mind I was living in a fairly small town in North Carolina at the time and there was no such thing as "vegan" anything! Hey, I was lucky to even find those 2 books at the bookstore!)

But of course vegan baked goods look exactly like their non-vegan counterparts, and they taste the same, if not better!! Anyone who's even contemplating going vegan should definitely check the books mentioned above and then you'll too see that choosing a vegan lifestyle isn't about "giving things up", it's about gaining knowledge to all the wonderful cruelty-free options that are out there! Do your best to try it for a week, and see for yourself!

OK...so back to the Udon!! I have made this dish many times, so I kind of have a system down. It takes a few steps and Isa has recommendations for servings temperatures for each component (noodles, seitan, veggies, sauce), but trust her and follow her "instructions"! But I usually omit the bean sprouts and scallions just to make it more kid-friendly.

I made this for a non-vegan friend once and she really liked it! Overall I do think this dish is omni-friendly, so keep this in mind if you have omnis in your house (like I do) and want to make a lunch/dinner that everyone can enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. I'm excited your're going to MoFo this year! It's my 4th year, and I've never had a theme, so mine is just going to be pretty loosely themed. I'll look forward to your posts.

    Love that udon/seitan/sauce recipe from Isa, too! It's always delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking out my blog, Tami!! It really means a lot to me! I love your cookbook!!!!!!

    I'm looking forward to your posts too (and your giveaways!)!

    ReplyDelete